[From President Annette Trefzer]
Dear Welty Society Friends –
I’m sharing the minutes from our July 9th, 2021 zoom meeting where we asked for input on Welty panels at the SSSL and ALA conferences for next year. Here is what we agreed on:
For SSSL 2022: Atlanta – Feb 17-20, 2022
- Performance of Moon Lake directed by Brenda Currin (Pearl will help organize a location)
- Welty and Disability (Laura to write the CFP) Interest by Donnie and Kevin, Rebecca, Laura, Annette, and others
- Welty and Media Technologies (Harriet to write the CFP): general interest
For ALA 2022 Chicago — in (May?) 2022
- Radical Welty Roundtable (spearheaded by Rebecca Mark)
- Welty: Ecology, and the Environment (Sarah to write the CFP): general interest
- Welty: Performance and Theatre (Harriet to write the CFP) Interest by David McWhirter, Suzanne Marrs, Annette, and others
Future projects and ideas:
We also envision a special issue on Eudora Welty for Women’s Studies journal. Rebecca and Sarah are interested in organizing the volume
We talked about a Welty Conference possibility in Jackson in 2023. Michael Pickard offered to help or even serve as host for a conference on Welty and Digital Technologies.
Future conference panel ideas:
Welty: abuse, cruelty and rape
Welty: digital projects
And a panel titled: “The Wise Ones” (you know who you are, and we know, too).
Once the CFPs are written, Sarah has offered to post them on our website, and we will forward them to the conference organizers of SSSL and ALA for posting.